[CentOS-devel] python3.11-devel in CS8 (and RHEL8)

Sun Mar 19 13:36:30 UTC 2023
Neal Gompa <ngompa13 at gmail.com>

On Sun, Mar 19, 2023 at 9:23 AM Josh Boyer <jwboyer at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 17, 2023 at 9:44 PM Orion Poplawski <orion at nwra.com> wrote:
> >
> > Pythno 3.11 and some modules have appeared in CentOS Stream 8 appstream.
> >   However I don't see python3.11-devel and the other modules that are in
> > CentOS Stream 9 crb in CS8 powertools.  I do see them in CS9 koji.
> >
> > Is this just an oversight or some kind of lag?  Or is this intentional?
> > It will make it impossible for EPEL to build needed modules for EPEL 8.
>
> Didn't the EPEL project just remove all modules and declare modularity defunct?
>
> https://fedoramagazine.org/epel-8-modularity-is-going-away/
>
> Your question seems fine otherwise, but this seems to have no impact
> on EPEL as far as I can tell.

EPEL 8 consumes RHEL 8 via an internal recompose that demodularizes
out all non-conflicting modules and imports them so that Koji exposes
them for packagers to build against. This means that all Python
versions are available for EPEL 8 packagers.