[CentOS-devel] RFC (Request for Comments) : future of lists.centos.org (aka centos mailing-lists)

Sat May 13 10:42:25 UTC 2023
Neal Gompa <ngompa13 at gmail.com>

On Sat, May 13, 2023 at 4:02 AM Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org> wrote:

> On 11/05/2023 21:38, Shaun McCance wrote:
> > On Thu, 2023-05-11 at 10:27 -0400, Stephen Smoogen wrote:
> >> so I think the possible options are:
> >>
> >> Option 1: move to EL-8 mailman2 til next June.. then punt to 2,3,4
> >> Option 2: volunteer and do the work to make mailman3 work (this needs
> >> packaging, webwork, database work, importing of old archives,
> >> resubscribing n people, etc).
> >> Option 2b: volunteer and use a different supportable mailing list
> >> software (this needs...)
> >> Option 3: discontinue email lists and have Fedora discourse run threads.
> >> Option 4: move the mailing lists to another organization and let them
> >> manage the email (this needs ...)
> >
> > Not necessarily advocating, but I'm going to add:
> >
> > Option 3b: discontinue email lists and have a dedicated CentOS Discourse.
> >

> <personal opinion> I don't like Discourse, it's not a mailing-list and
> you can't read threads from a mail client, which lot of people,
> including me, are used to ...
> </personal opinion>
>
> If discontinuing the email lists is a CentOS board choice, maybe it's
> better to not reinvent the wheel and "merge" it with Fedora instance
> (with sub-categories, threads, $whatever) ?
> That way, Fedora folks managing one instance don't have to manage
> another one ?
>
> Just me two cents :-)

Fedora's Discourse is run by Civilized Discourse Construction Kit (the
developers of Discourse), not Fedora.

Getting a CentOS Discourse instance would not add any load for anyone,
since nobody in Fedora/CentOS would be "maintaining" it as CDCK would
be contracted to run it too.

I'd rather keep mailing lists for development myself. For that, I
would suggest moving them to Fedora's instance and leveraging the
multi-domain feature so that lists.centos.org goes to Fedora's
instance.