[CentOS-devel] [EXT] CentOS 7/8s EOL : infrastructure impacts (please read)

Mon Mar 18 09:48:07 UTC 2024
Peter Georg <peter.georg at physik.uni-regensburg.de>

On 18/03/2024 08.28, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As you're all aware (we sent multiple mails in the last year about
> this), CentOS 7 and Stream 8 will go EOL soon :
> https://blog.centos.org/2023/04/end-dates-are-coming-for-centos-stream-8-and-centos-linux-7/
>
> Let's lists some things that will happen on the CentOS Infrastructure as
> we'll be approching (or passed) these dates :
>
> # CentOS 7/8s content itself
> Usual process : content will be archived to https://vault.centos.org and
> removed from mirror.centos.org completely, with just a simple readme
> file dropped here (for example http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/readme
> for already EOL'ed version). Worth knowing that some SIGs are still
> building for RHEL8, still supported for SIGs through
> https://cbs.centos.org so such kind of content will continue to be
> available there as long as SIGs can build against/for it
>
> # CBS/koji (https://cbs.centos.org)
> No impact on CBS env itself ( not running centos 7 nor 8s for a long
> time now) but the various build tag reflecting centos 7 and 8s will be
> locked so that nobody would be able to build content anymore : that
> would even be impossible as content itself will have been removed from
> mirror.centos.org (internally used for cbs build tags)
>
> # CentOS Forums (https://forums.centos.org) :
> still running on centos 7 and even if that's easy to migrate to
> newer/supported EL version, it was decided to just shutdown the service
> (based on discussion with the actual moderation team). An option (to be
> announced on forums.centos.org ?) is to eventually start moving
> thread/discussions on Fedora discourse (There is already a CentOS
> category there :
> https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/c/neighbors/centos/71)
> So the plan is just to shutdown forums.centos.org and remove A/AAAA
> records from DNS
>
> # mirrorlist.centos.org service :
> Starting from Stream 9 (and above), deployed CentOS instance ares using
> Fedora infra mirrormanager instance for metalink= instead of mirrorlist=
> in .repo files. We'll just decommission our mirror crawler (also running
> with a mix of perl/python2 code), so not validating any mirror for
> legacy/EOL releases. mirrorlist.centos.org A/AAAA records will be
> removed in the following weeks after c7 will be EOL'ed.
> That means that people still running CentOS 7 or 8-stream will not have
> functional yum/dnf stack, except if they point to either vault or have
> internal mirror but at least people would be aware that distro itself is
> EOL and that they shouldn't expect to receive any update anymore

So SIGs building for RHEL8 might have to replace the mirrorlist= line in
their .repo files (in case they provide any) by a baseurl=.

Personally I'd prefer having SIG content built for RHEL8 being pushed to
mirror.stream.centos.org due to these changes (incl. sources and
debuginfo) just like content built for RHEL 9 and Stream 9.