[Centos-docs] Google Ads in the Wiki

Lance Davis lance at uklinux.net
Thu Oct 19 14:01:04 UTC 2006

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, Daniel de Kok wrote:

> A fairly serious question: how much can we (as users) donate to get the
> Google ads off the Wiki? I guess this does not give so much revenue, and
> it is really distracting. So, if we can match the annual income of Google
> Ads on the Wiki, I think I (and others) are willing to compensate this
> with donations.

Johnny was a bit misleading as the income he quoted related to the whole
website and as we only implemented the ads on the wiki today we dont know
how much revenue they will generate.

We may be able to look in a month or two and see what the wiki.centos.org
traffic has been like and reappraise.

> I have seen some potential Dutch users getting turned away seeing the main
> CentOS site because it looked unprofessional. They main nit probably being
> the Google Ads.

Google ads are _everywhere_ on the internet nowadays and I am
surprised that their presencewould put anyone off looking at centos ???

There are far more unprofessional aspects of the centos website than the
google ads - IMHO :)

I am also about to put sections of amazon ads on both the website and wiki
pointing at relevant books that users may want to buy and CentOS project
would get a % revenue - but of course you would have to browse to that
page , and it wouldnt be as in your face as the google ads at the top ...

Regards
Lance

--
uklinux.net -
The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.