[Centos-docs] Re: [CentOS] Write performance with 3ware 9550

Michael Kress

kress at hal.saar.de
Tue Oct 17 05:01:11 UTC 2006

Hi,

Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> Good idea - we should use it more as quite a few tips from this list are
>> very useful.
>> I'd suggest creating  http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/3w-9xxx
>> So all types of 9xxx series will be covered. As tuning always heavily
>> concerns the driver, this might be the best generalization.
>> If somebody wants to write something about another 3w series, this
>> should IMHO be handled on another page.
>>

> I'd prefer to see it under the Hardware/ namespace - but this
> discussion can be had on the centos-docs lists ( where i am cross
> posting to, )

Please don't forget to include a chapter where users may append their
performance results done by bonnie++. They should include their setup:
Mainboard, Controller, RAM, CPU(s), HDs, filesystem used, command used,
kernel version, driver version, firmware version.

To make results comparable we could even propose a certain bonnie++ command.

Why include such stats?
Users could search their similar hw setup and compare their statistics
with the one's from the wiki, so they know if tuning helped them or not.
Regards,
Michael

Michael Kress, kress at hal.saar.de
http://www.michael-kress.de / http://kress.net