[Centos-docs] Some Spanish Translation

Ralph Angenendt ra+centos at br-online.de
Thu Sep 28 13:47:47 UTC 2006

Lance Davis wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Sep 2006, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> >of-course, if we had thought about this earlier, we could have had an /en/
> >default, which would have worked out really nicely, and fit the master
> >scheme of things
>
> Cant that still be changed ??

I think that'll be quite painful, as you have to move *all* pages and
have to touch *each* link (afaics moving pages doesn't update references
to the pages).

> >One thing that would work well in this case, is if someone was to goto a
> >page at wiki.centos.org/es/SomePage/ and find that the page does not
> >exist, it should be possible to put in a message that says "this page does
> >not exist, its not been translated into Spanish as yet, please check the
> >main page at wiki.centos.org/SomePage/
>
> via errordocument 404 or inside the wiki ??

The wiki doesn't know about 404. If you encounter a page which isn't
there you get the option to create that page. So a 404 will never be
thrown.

Feature, not a bug.

> >BUT, the issue that comes up in that case is - what happens when content
> >is created in /es/ namespace, which does not have a /en/ translation ?
>
> Cant we just have a selector dropdown on the front page for language, and
> then set a cookie or something ??

You'd have to have all pages in $LANGUAGE then (meaning mirror them into
the namespace). If you don't then a user who reaches the german pages
will think of the wiki as a place where nothing happens - because only
the 4 german pages are there, and nothing else.

Or I misunderstood you :)

Ralph
--
Ralph Angenendt......ra at br-online.de | .."Text processing has made it possible
Bayerischer Rundfunk...80300 München | ....to right-justify any idea, even one