[Centos-docs] Some Spanish Translation

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Sep 28 11:52:41 UTC 2006

Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>> It seems so, if I read the page correctly. Besides that, I think that
>> translating the page titles will clutter up the Wiki, and will make it
>> hard for English 'wiki elves' to maintain the Wiki when it grows. How
>> about mirroring the English namespace for translations? So, for instance,
>> the Spanish translation of
>>
>> /PackageManagement/Yum/FastestMirror
>>
>> would be:
>>
>> /es/PackageManagement/Yum/FastestMirror

of-course, if we had thought about this earlier, we could have had an
/en/ default, which would have worked out really nicely, and fit the
master scheme of things

> That sounds like a rather good idea, though I still see problems with
> navigation.
>
> - You cannot have all language links on the front page. This will
>   clutter it up beyond recognition.

Could we have a link, to an internationalisation page and then have
links to languages / translations from there ?

> - You cannot "hide" links to other languages in a subpage. Okay, at the
>   moment we only have a front page which links to "portal pages" (I'd
>   say "Verteilerseiten" in german, no idea what it is in english) -
>   linking to versions in other languages is easy from there and very
>   obvious. But what happens when we have to have
>   "frontpage->subportal->subportal"? No one will really find those
>   pages.

we'd need to stick with 1 form of NameSpace, i think - and it will need
to stay the English namespace. Unless someone can come up with options.

> - You could duplicate those pages into the (lets assume es) es/
>   namespace and link to the english pages when none other is available.
>   Won't work, as you have to change a page in *all* languages if you
>   edit a new entry.

One thing that would work well in this case, is if someone was to goto a
page at wiki.centos.org/es/SomePage/ and find that the page does not
exist, it should be possible to put in a message that says "this page
does not exist, its not been translated into Spanish as yet, please
check the main page at wiki.centos.org/SomePage/

BUT, the issue that comes up in that case is - what happens when content
is created in /es/ namespace, which does not have a /en/ translation ?

what happens when a /ru/ and /fr/ tree come up as well ? Do we then
write a mod to Moin that causes a tree scan, and lists all other
languages the page exists in ?

With content coming up in other language namespaces, can we still
enforce a English namespace for page names ?

>> http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/HierarchicalAccessControlList
>
> That's a patch? It would be great for the HardwareList, if we can lock
> down editing to the hardware template (and we could see how much spam
> we'd get in a rather small area of the wiki) :)

Lets do this :)