[CentOS-docs] Short postgrey guide?

Ned Slider nedslider at f2s.com
Sun Dec 23 20:08:20 UTC 2007

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Ned Slider wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> Are you interested in a brief guide on how to set up postgrey
>> (anti-spam greylisting) with postfix? I set it up today and it took me
>> a while to get it working as the config is slightly different from
>> that on many of the googled guides (many are debian/ubuntu based). The
>> darn config file lives in /etc/sysconfig on RH/CentOS rather than
>> /etc/default as mentioned in all the guides I found!
>
> quick question here - isnt it actually better to just use postgrey over
> a named socket rather than over a network socket ?

Hi Karanbir,

Do you mean a unix socket? (that's a question asked out of ignorance on
my behalf rather than a statement!). I think by default it was binding a
unix socket but I didn't know how to configure it hence why I bound it
to localhost/tcp:60000 - it was the only way I could figure out how to
get it working (I don't really understand how unix sockets work).

Anyway, if you can point me in the right direction, I'm happy to try and
can amend the article if you think it's better that way (maybe you could
  also explain why unix sockets are preferable to a network socket -
security maybe??)

Alternatively, you are more than welcome to jump in and amend the
article as you see fit in true Wiki style :)

Regards,

Ned