[Centos-docs] centos extra drivers

Fabian Arrotin

fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net
Mon Jan 22 13:15:50 UTC 2007

Karanbir Singh wrote:

> its basically going to be a DriverDisk image on .iso and .img ( if it
> fits a floppy ), which contains drivers ( either updates to existing
> ones, or new drivers not included or disabled in the kernel ) that
> people can use install time.
>
> Might also need a yumplugin to migrate and move these drivers to a new
> kernel everytime a new kernel is installed on the machine. But apart
> from that i dont really see any rpm's being created / required.
>
> - KB
> --
Oups, it seems this one missed me in my mails list .... :o)
I find this a very good idea ! A lot of people ask (for example on the
forum) how to install on top of nvidia chipset (sata_nv for the sata and
forcedeth for the nic) with a newer module (that can handle their newer
chipset) that the one provided in centos default kernel ... pointing
them to http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.21.html is one
thing, but having a wiki page explaining that and the yumplugin in case
of new kernel install is a better thing ..