[CentOS-docs] HowTos/MigrationGuide

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Sun Mar 25 14:21:03 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-24 at 14:08 +0100, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Phil Schaffner wrote:
> > Please (particularly Smooge) review and comment on the new content at
> >
> > http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/MigrationGuide
>
> Looks good so far ...

Already have a couple of mods in mind, but will wait for others to weigh
in before making any further changes.

> > Would assume that we want only one page on Migration with sub-pages for
> > specific versions.  I referred to the CentOS 3 FAQ entry on WBEL
> > migration but it would seem to be cleaner to change the structure to
> > something like
> >
> > http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/MigrationGuide/CentOS2
> > http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/MigrationGuide/CentOS5
>
> Migration from mentioned version to where? Always latest? Or from 3 to
> 4 (as people running Oracle might want to do, as I don't see 5 get
> recognized as supported soon)?

My thought was that each CentOSx page would address issues with updates
from x-1 and migration from other ELx-based distros.

> Otherwise it's a good idea, though 2.1 to 5 probably is "Don't even
> think about it" }:->

Agreed; however, general guidance to update from major version x to x+1
before attempting x+2, or better yet do a fresh install, would cover
that.

Phil