[CentOS-docs] Java Installation HowTo kickoff (JDK 1.4.2, 1.5 and 1.6)

Daniel de Kok

danieldk at pobox.com
Fri Mar 16 15:15:02 UTC 2007

Hi Leonardo,

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 08:18:56 -0300
"Leonardo Pinheiro" <leopinheiro at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've started posting it (not finished), and there is indeed a link
> for it in the HowTos (http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos ). I hope by now
> the JavaOnCentOS may be used at least by experienced users.

Great work! Some suggestions:

---
General: I think it is best and most consistent to just use root
prompts (#) or user ($) prompts, and not longer prompts
(<your_user>@host ~]). This to avoid having a different "syntax" per
page.

Preface: please add a short preface telling:

- What this page/article covers, and the method being used (building of
  JPackage SRPMS, rather than any of the other possible approaches).
- What JDK versions are described.
- What the user will have after following the instructions.

Step 1: maybe it's best to point to this page to remove redundancy:

http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/YumAndRPM

It would probably best if we divide that page in sections (with
anchors) rather than bulleted points to make linking easier.

Step 2: add a link to the priorities and protectbase pages,
especially in CentOS 5 there may be a lot of overlap of Java-related
packages.
---

I still have to read the rest a bit. Anyway, IMO it's a great addition
to the Wiki.

-- Daniel