[CentOS-docs] Java Installation HowTo kickoff (JDK 1.4.2, 1.5 and 1.6)

Fri Mar 16 14:47:08 UTC 2007
Leonardo Pinheiro <leopinheiro at gmail.com>

On 3/16/07, Matt Hyclak <hyclak at math.ohiou.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 01:11:15PM +0100, Ralph Angenendt enlightened us:
> > Leonardo Pinheiro wrote:
> > >    I've started posting it (not finished), and there is indeed a link
> > >    for it in the  HowTos  ([2]http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos  ).  I
> > >    hope by now the JavaOnCentOS may be used at least by experienced
> > >    users. Suggestions are welcome.
> >
> > Damn. Why the crosspost to centos-devel? This is a docs-issue and should
> > be kept on this list.
> >
> > The page in question is <http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/JavaOnCentOS>. So
> > everyone look at that and write your review :)

I didn't see this message from Ralph.

> 2. (Sun JDK 1.4.2) Should we be recommending anyone ever use --nodeps? I can
> just see it now: "Well, it said I could use --nodeps on this Java thing, so
> I figured I could use --nodeps on this FC7 glibc package for my CentOS 2.1
> box..."
>
> At the very least, explain why this is happening in this case and why
> --nodeps should not be used in any other situation.

I suspect there are others packages that provide those not-resolved
(or circular) dependencies, so that --nodeps should not be used. I'll
check.