[CentOS-docs] Wiki FrontPage Proposition

Dag Wieers dag at centos.org
Fri Oct 12 14:49:40 UTC 2007

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:

> What do you think about this structure:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/FrontPageProposal?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=wiki-structure-5-en.png

It is definitely an improvement over what we have now, but in my opinion
there are too many blocks. And the documentation block looks like it is a
permanent menu, while it is not.

Again, I believe we need a left-handside permanent menu that helps
navigate the content. And the content is the first people need to see. So
I would move the screenshot to the right, put a small introduction on the
left, and immediately show not more than 7 sections. So that people in a
glimp of an eye, can see what choices they have and make a choice.

The importance of not more than 7 links is that people can remember
and return to those 7 choices. Too many links on a frontpage trembles that
structure.

(the left-handside menu of course does not have to be on the frontpage if
it is in a permantent block on the left for every subsequent page, still
having it there helps for consistency)