[CentOS-docs] Wiki FrontPage Proposition

Alain Reguera Delgado alain.reguera at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 23:39:19 UTC 2007

On 10/12/07, Dag Wieers <dag at centos.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:

> > What do you think ? Do we still need a vertically NaviBar ? Could the
> > horizontal NaviBar do the trick ?
>
> I think we do not have to reinvent any wheel. Most users are accustomed to
> this:
>
>  ---------------------------------------------------------------
>  CentOS wiki /logo                    login | search: _________
>  --------------- -----------------------------------------------
>  MENU:          | Welcome to the CentOS wiki.     -------------
>   download      | a blah blah introduction text. | random      |
>   documentation | You can find information yada  | screenshot  |
>   contribute    | yada                           |             |
>   promote       |                                |             |
>   donate        |                                 -------------
>   about         |
>                 | _Download CentOS now._ Find out how to download
>                 | the latest CentOS release and updates....
>  EVENTS:        |
>   T-DOSE 2007   | _Documentation on CentOS._ Help yourself with
>   LinuxWorld NL | our FAQ and Tips-and-tricks. Browse to our....
>   FOSDEM        |
>                 | _Contribute to CentOS._ Make yourself useful
>                 | and provide bugreports and feedback. Join....
>  NEWS:          |
>   Item 1 great  | _Promote CentOS._ Show Centos to people and
>   Item 2 cool   | usergroups. Design flyers, stickers and....
>   Item 3 neat   |
>                 | _Donate to CentOS._ Provide us with the funds
>                 | we need so hard to operate this project....
>  PLANET:        |
>   Post 1 mighty | _About CentOS._ What is CentOS? Who is
>   Post 2 fancy  | running this project? Who can I contact....
>   Post 3 wicked |
>  --------------- ----------------------------------------------------
>
> When a user is logged on, he gets the extra navigation bar
>
>  ---------------------------------------------------------------
>  CentOS wiki / logo                   login | search: _________
>  --------------- -----------------------------------------------
>  MENU:          | Edit | Info | Subscribe | RecentChanges | ...
>   download       -----------------------------------------------
>   documentation | Welcome to the CentOS wiki.     -------------
>   contribute    | a blah blah introduction text. | random      |
>   promote       | You can find information yada  | screenshot  |
>   .             .                                .             .
>   .             .                                .             .
>
> and so on ...

cool graphs! Dag ... I have a better/clean idea now ... this will
require some theme modifications. I don't know python, neither
moinmoin template syntax. I'll try to read some themes and combine
things ... to see what thing gets out of here.

> This is simple and what most people expect for a frontpage. And that is
> *good*. We don't have to go against what people already expect and now.
> This is an informational site, not a site to make people change their
> habits because defaults are boring.
>
> I like conventional things to accomodate people, not too many information
> and not too many links. People should feel at ease, pleasant.

I am completely agree ... would be good to know what others think
about it. Personally, I like a lot how this content distribution
looks!!.

Cheers,

al.