[CentOS-docs] Wiki FrontPage Proposition

Dag Wieers dag at centos.org
Mon Oct 15 13:00:34 UTC 2007

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007, Ralph Angenendt wrote:

> Dag Wieers wrote:
> > I think we do not have to reinvent any wheel. Most users are accustomed to
> > this:
>
> But that *would* mean reinventing the wheel (at least in Moin), while
> the Navibar already is there *and* is available on all pages without
> further intervention. True, the contents of the navibar have to be done
> in wikiconfig.py and aren't easily editable, but that's about the only
> drawback I see.

Sorry but I find it a bad strategy if we have to adapt the layout and
friendliness of the wiki because of technical issues with the wiki
software. Not using a righthand-side menu because there is something else
in place by default seems the wrong reason.

> >  EVENTS:        |
> >   T-DOSE 2007   | _Documentation on CentOS._ Help yourself with
> >   LinuxWorld NL | our FAQ and Tips-and-tricks. Browse to our....
> >   FOSDEM        |
> >                 | _Contribute to CentOS._ Make yourself useful
> >                 | and provide bugreports and feedback. Join....
> >  NEWS:          |
> >   Item 1 great  | _Promote CentOS._ Show Centos to people and
> >   Item 2 cool   | usergroups. Design flyers, stickers and....
> >   Item 3 neat   |
> >                 | _Donate to CentOS._ Provide us with the funds
> >                 | we need so hard to operate this project....
> >  PLANET:        |
> >   Post 1 mighty | _About CentOS._ What is CentOS? Who is
> >   Post 2 fancy  | running this project? Who can I contact....
> >   Post 3 wicked |
>
> I haven't seen a theme for moin yet which is able to do that. The two or
> three themes which have sidebars *only* have the NaviBar in there. What
> could be possible is a table which has it's own CSS information and
> which then might be put at the left or the right side of the page. But:
> If you want this content on *all* pages, all pages have to be touched.

That seems stupid. I doubt that MoinMoin has this limitation, otherwise I
have to question why we used MoinMoin in the first place :(

> > BTW Thanks for your patience, I can imagine that it is not easy with a
> > bunch of perfectionists (like me) ;-)
>
> But do you have *any* idea on how to accomplish that in Moin? >:)

The MoinMoin website advertises 2 wikis that have a proper menu:

	cacert.org (doesn't look like a wiki, that's good)
	kernelnewbies.org (good wiki-structure menu)

It would be a shame if we would not do it because we don't know how
to do it. If we decide to do it like that, at least we can look for
someone who can look into it and in the meantime do it different.