[CentOS-docs] Re: centos-doc] wiki and author/maintainer name

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 03:59:46 UTC 2007

On 10/24/07, R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com> wrote:

> >> ... an author and an artist sign their work
>
> > Just like you did for that article ;-)  Most pages are
> > without an autograph right now.  You would suggest that the
> > wikimaster should go ahead and sign all nameless pages on
> > behalf of the author?
>
> not at all -- the author/artist makes that decision;  who
> wants to sign (or worse, have a attribution added to) bad
> work?  But adopting a policy preferring that a 'subject
> matter' area maintainer, 'brand' their interest and
> 'accountability' for parts of the work makes sense to me.
>
> - R

I believe we are thinking the same thing but...

The whole point of providing contact info on each wiki article (or
section of it) is to make it easy for anyone to send in comments.
Artworks can be as bad as the artist desires, but CentOS articles must
be kept as best as they can be.  We want to keep the information
accurate and up-to-date.  Some url's and links need constant updating.
 This is not always easy.

Someone recently e-mailed me a nice tip for one of the wiki pages I
wrote (I "happened" to have my name on that page).  This helped me
improve the content.

The wiki's principle is participation of anyone who wants to
contribute.  With the way it is set up now, it is rather difficult for
people to figure out how to get their voice heard.  Naturally, it
would be best if the maintainer's name appears on the page.  But
wherever this is not practical, displaying more general contact /
feedback info will help.

Akemi