[CentOS-docs] Wiki restructure

Ralph Angenendt

ra+centos at br-online.de
Mon Oct 8 09:26:41 UTC 2007

Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:

> > Since we are discussing using the wiki as the website, we probably have to
> > move the Documentation one level deeper.
> >
> > > I would like to implement it in es/ page. Would it be convenient ?
> >
> > My preference would be that we keep the same layout and content as the
> > English page.
>
> ok. so here is a proposition to the English page ;) :
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/en?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=wiki-structure-1-en.png

Hmmm, that looks good. I'd still like to go with a smaller content area
though, which doesn't expand to the complete width of the browser.

I have to admit that I didn't know about the [Include()] macro.

With the Style from <http://wiki-m.centos.org/> we could use the Tabs on
the Top for a fixed Navigation inside the wiki (Like putting
"FrontPage", "HowTos", "Contribute" and so on into the tabs). Although
I'm not quite sure about relative links in there, so that HowTos will
get you to the english Howtos when you're in the en/ space and get the
Spanish HowTos page, when you are in the es/ space (and so on). So you
will get to the relevant parts of the wiki quite fast and the Navigation
is *always* there in the same place, whereever you are in the wiki
*without* including some Navigation macro in *every* page.

> What do you think ? Does it adapt to the needs ? Other suggestions ?

Yes, it is a very clean start page (looks a bit like the "old" Fedora
Wiki starting page, doesn't it?) =:)

> Further, we could change the color of wiki header (now gray) and turn
> it dark blue with something nice and clear that give logo a little
> more of power. Just to see how it looks.

I'd still like to toy around with the other style, as that doesn't show
all the wiki cruft to people without accounts.

> > > The case of HowTos/Network/SomePage, could it be just HowTos/SomePage
> > > ? Or, HowTos/Category/SomePage for all pages under HowTos.

I think it should be the latter (HowTos/Category/Page).

> Another case is that of pages like MigratingTwoToFive and
> MigratingThreeToFive that are listed in HowTos/MigrationGuide page but
> its namespace don't say that, maybe they could be under
> HowTos/MigrationGuide/ too.

Yes. But that means that people with edit access across the complete
wiki have to be careful about where they put their pages - and
especially *not* to put them under /.

> > My preference would
> > go to using a fairly strict namespace that matches the structure of the
> > site:
>
> This namespace seems fine to me.

I'm okay with it, also.

Cheers,