[CentOS-docs] Wiki restructure

Dag Wieers

dag at centos.org
Mon Oct 8 11:12:39 UTC 2007

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007, Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:

> On 10/7/07, Dag Wieers <dag at centos.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, 6 Oct 2007, Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:
> > > http://wiki.centos.org/es?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=wiki-structure-1-en.png
> >
> > Since we are discussing using the wiki as the website, we probably have to
> > move the Documentation one level deeper.
> >
> > > I would like to implement it in es/ page. Would it be convenient ?
> >
> > My preference would be that we keep the same layout and content as the
> > English page.
>
> ok. so here is a proposition to the English page ;) :
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/en?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=wiki-structure-1-en.png
>
> What do you think ? Does it adapt to the needs ? Other suggestions ?

I am not in favor of such a design. I think we have to accomodate both new
users and users that know what CentOS is. By starting off with a large
introduction section, the important links to all other sections fall off
the screen (at least my 1024x768 screen).

And for regular users, the introduction is not useful.

I think the links (categories) should be visible on the top, as well as
a small introduction. A screenshot is possible if it does not take more
than 1/6 of my screen.

But the links should be visible as most people are NOT interested in the
front page. What's more, I feel very strongly about the need for a menu to
guide people to the rest of the side (wherever they may have entered the
site).

People need direction (and those that don't can ignore the menu). People
need to know what their options are (and not too many options either).