[CentOS-docs] Wiki FrontPage Proposition

Matt Hyclak

hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Fri Oct 12 14:56:52 UTC 2007

On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 04:49:40PM +0200, Dag Wieers enlightened us:
> > What do you think about this structure:
> > http://wiki.centos.org/FrontPageProposal?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=wiki-structure-5-en.png
>
> It is definitely an improvement over what we have now, but in my opinion
> there are too many blocks. And the documentation block looks like it is a
> permanent menu, while it is not.
>
> Again, I believe we need a left-handside permanent menu that helps
> navigate the content. And the content is the first people need to see. So
> I would move the screenshot to the right, put a small introduction on the
> left, and immediately show not more than 7 sections. So that people in a
> glimp of an eye, can see what choices they have and make a choice.
>
> The importance of not more than 7 links is that people can remember
> and return to those 7 choices. Too many links on a frontpage trembles that
> structure.

Not to mention the 7 +/- 2 rule[1] of how much data we can hold in short term
memory to process. No, I'm not taking Educational Psychology classes this
quarter, I swear!

Matt

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magical_Number_Seven%2C_Plus_or_Minus_Two

--