[CentOS-docs] Wiki FrontPage Proposition

Fri Oct 12 15:40:04 UTC 2007
Dag Wieers <dag at centos.org>

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, Matt Hyclak wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 04:49:40PM +0200, Dag Wieers enlightened us:
> > > What do you think about this structure:
> > > http://wiki.centos.org/FrontPageProposal?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=wiki-structure-5-en.png
> >
> > It is definitely an improvement over what we have now, but in my opinion
> > there are too many blocks. And the documentation block looks like it is a
> > permanent menu, while it is not.
> >
> > Again, I believe we need a left-handside permanent menu that helps
> > navigate the content. And the content is the first people need to see. So
> > I would move the screenshot to the right, put a small introduction on the
> > left, and immediately show not more than 7 sections. So that people in a
> > glimp of an eye, can see what choices they have and make a choice.
> >
> > The importance of not more than 7 links is that people can remember
> > and return to those 7 choices. Too many links on a frontpage trembles that
> > structure.
> >

> Not to mention the 7 +/- 2 rule[1] of how much data we can hold in short term
> memory to process. No, I'm not taking Educational Psychology classes this
> quarter, I swear!

Hey, that's interesting. I don't know how I came up with 7, but I felt
that more than 7 would probably be too much. Funny that this actually has
been part of a psychological study :)

PS That obviously means that I have an average capacity :/