[CentOS-docs] need a TOC

Wed Sep 26 17:00:53 UTC 2007
Dag Wieers <dag at centos.org>

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007, Phil Schaffner wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 14:03 +0200, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> > Akemi Yagi wrote:
> > > I think that this page needs a TOC:
> > >
> > > http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Nagios
> >
> > I still think that this wiki is a wiki.
>
> And it is still a Wiki that presents "Immutable Page" on the "Actions"
> bar to most viewers and potential editors, even those who are
> contributors in other areas.  Personally I have been much less active in
> contributing to the Wiki, due to the hurdle of having to ask for
> permission in every new instance, than I might have been with more open
> access.
>
> I understand that general write/create/modify access permissions have
> resulted in abuses in the past, requiring the limitations, but still
> maintain that contributors "in good standing" (conditions TBD, but not
> TOO tight - can always be demoted :-) should be granted a higher level
> of access.  This approach would also decrease the workload on those who
> must grant permission on a case-by-case basis.  If some authors are
> reluctant to subscribe to the openness of the Wiki philosophy within
> these limits, their pages could presumable have a higher level of
> protection.  I admit to ignorance as to the details of how this could be
> implemented on this "MoinMoin Powered" Wiki.

Phill, I agree with you. The problem is how to establish trust, or how to
establish trust when you are not allowed to do anything.

I think trust could be based not only on merit, but also on the person's
behaviour in the community (CentOS or maybe even more widely). This may be
necessary on a case-by-case basis.