[CentOS-docs] Wiki Link

John jses27 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 05:55:41 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 17:42 -0700, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Ned Slider <nedslider at f2s.com> wrote:
> > Akemi Yagi wrote:
> >
> > > Way to go, Ned.
> > >
> > > Akemi
> >
> >  You're too kind!
> >
> >  Question: I already have the RPMForge/dkms driver installed on all my
> > machine(s). How do I best disable/remove the drivers to simulate a fresh
> > install for the purpose of taking notes. I can't remember if I had to
> > configure anything or if it was just a case of installing the RPMForge repo
> > and yum installing dkms and the appropriate nvidia driver. I guess I need to
> > rpm -e them and manually reconfigure xorg.conf back to using the original
> > xorg "nv" driver? (just checked - I do have a backup of my original pristine
> > vanilla xorg.conf using the "nv" driver)
>
> Regarding the installation, yum install should take care of
> dependencies for things like dkms.  dkms intern pulls gcc and
> kernel-devel among other things.  There is one potential issue here.
> If the user is running a non-standard kernel (such as xen), then
> kernel-devel must be installed manually (kernel-xen-devel, for
> example).

Mention of The Xen-Kernel:

Just a thought here. I never used the proprietary nvidia driver with the
xen kernel on any install of it I've done. But I beg to know why would
you even want to run that when you running Xen? If your running Xen then
your not after video acceleration correct? You after I/O and Memory
Bandwidth.

It's not a problem if you two want to validate a driver install of this
weird nature. I can do this. I have the extra machine for testing
purposes.  The only type of people that would maybe use this combination
would be strictly Developers.  I can see someone now, I have a Dell
Poweredge 1950 with a on board nvidia card and it runs the Xen
Hypervisor!!! Only connection to it is a Serial Console!

> If you are going to delete the nvidia driver to do a simulation, I
> think rpm -e removes *most* of the stuff installed.  I say "most"
> because, the original installation of nvidia.ko may have created
> symlinks in /lib/modules/ and these symlinks are apparently NOT
> removed by the uninstall script of the nvidia rpm.  This may no be so
> important for your testing but just in case.
>
> Akemi
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079