[CentOS-docs] Doc for the Wiki

Daniel de Kok me at danieldk.org
Wed Apr 9 17:59:11 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 7:45 PM, Alan Bartlett <ajb.stxsl at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 09/04/2008, Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos at br-online.de> wrote:
>
> > My second problem is with the source build of all those packages.
> > Building from source is something that we strongly advocate against in
> > all other support venues (irc, mailing lists, probably also forums).
> >
> > And now I let others chime in.
>
> Dong. We had a case in the fora a short while ago of someone deciding to
> build, from source, the latest version of python.

Which is a bad idea anyway, since it defies the goal of an enterprise
distribution. If there is a serious need for this (e.g. because a
major application requires it), we should consider looking into
providing Python packages that can be installed in parallel (like we
did for C3).

The thing is that we can't support it. And people will mess up their
systems with manual installation of things. And such problems are hard
to "debug".