[CentOS-docs] becoming root

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 18:27:04 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 10:58 AM, Ned Slider <nedslider at pendre.co.uk> wrote:

> Nils Ratusznik wrote:
>
> > Akemi Yagi a écrit :
> >
> > > Excellent!  Guess Alan can polish it up if needed :-D
> > > Akemi
> > >
> > Your help is also welcome ;)
> >
> > Here is what I wrote. I wrote it without wiki syntax so  someone will
> surely polish it up.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Nils
> >

>  Thanks Nils :)
>
>  I'm happy to get it on to the Wiki, just that I'm not an "sudoer" so am
> unable to adjudge the content technically correct. If someone else can take
> part of that aspect, we'll have ourselves a real team (community) effort.
>
>  Regards,
>
>  Ned

Looking good to me.  One thing that may be worth mentioning is that
all sudo commands are logged in /var/log/secure.  In the above
example, it will look like:

Apr 18 11:23:17 localhost sudo: bob  : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/bob ;
USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/ping -c 10 -i 0 localhost

I think this is a nice feature.  Commands executed by real root are
not logged except in root's .history file, if I'm not mistaken.

Akemi