[CentOS-docs] becoming root

Ned Slider

nedslider at f2s.com
Tue Apr 8 16:30:24 UTC 2008

Rafał Ślubowski wrote:
> 2008/4/6, Alan Bartlett <ajb.stxsl at googlemail.com>:
>
>> Perhaps a mention of sudo and sudoers could also be made?
>
> And consolehelper for GUI users.
>
> Regards,
> Rafal

Hi Rafał,

I've had a quick look at consolehelper, and I'm still not sure I fully
understand how it works, at least enough to be able to write a section
on it. I understand it uses pam authentication when running a program
that requires root privileges and requests the root password
(system-config-services being an example), but I don't fully understand
how a user would use it, although I see any application could
potentially be configured in /etc/pam.d/

My initial intent was to write a short article to be useful to beginners
explaining how they could become root in order to achieve common tasks
(as opposed to logging in to the GUI desktop as root!) and highlight
some of the common pitfalls ('su' vs 'su -'), as much to serve as a
quick FAQ for forum helpers to link to rather than explaining it over
and over again. I fear it is beyond my abilities/knowledge to expand the
article much further than this.

How far such an article should be expanded, and whether we wish to cover
every conceivable method for launching something with root privileges is
probably not something for me to answer. That said, if you'd (or anyone)
like to expand on my initial remit and write an additional section,
please feel free :)

On an additional note, whilst investigating consolehelper, I also
noticed the "Run Command..." option on the KDE Menu (for those who don't
use KDE, it's a graphical run box that also allows one to specify a
different users credentials). I could see how that would be useful to
new users who are afraid of the command line, and should maybe be
included, but again I have no knowledge of the underlying mechanism by
which it works. Perhaps a gnome user could advise if gnome has similar
functionality?

Regards,

Ned