[CentOS-docs] Doc for the Wiki

John

jses27 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 22:03:14 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 11:10 -0400, Chris Mauritz wrote:
> John wrote:
> > I just skimed through reading it. I would like to know if you can do
> > this install on CentOS 5.1 pulling all the packages from the centos yum
> > repos? Watch out that install of Python2.4.5. A user may have both
> > versions installed at once.  /usrbin/python2.4.4
> > and /usr/bin/python2.4.5 sudo make altinstall?? I assume we are not
> > breaking original apps?
> >
> > Not for the beginner at heart. Can you do it all from Originality?
> > Instead of following another article?
>
> I dealt with having multiple instances of Python by placing the newer
> version in /usr/local.  It all seems to work without any problem.
>
> Hah.  If those packages were available, I would not have wasted any time
> to compile them by myself.  :)  Creating custom packages is a bit beyond
> my skill level, I think...or at least I've never had the time to spend
> trying to do one by myself.  If someone wanted to help me with creating
> rpms from the tarballs, I'd be happy to re-do the proposed wiki document.

Just a to clarify for me.
Just asking how many *.rpms would have to be built from the tar.gz's.
Guess I could reread your How To.....:-(

Is there a reason it want run on the install base of Python on 5.0 and
5.1? Just wanting to also know for myself when you done it did any of
the system-config tools break? Or I am confusing my self?
All of redhats config tools ran on the original install of python
correct? Plone and Zope ran on the Alternate Install of 2.4.5 right?

> Cheers,
>
> Chris
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079