[CentOS-docs] Doc for the Wiki

Wed Apr 9 15:51:34 UTC 2008
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 5:26 AM, Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos at br-online.de> wrote:
> Chris Mauritz wrote:

>  My second problem is with the source build of all those packages.
>  Building from source is something that we strongly advocate against in
>  all other support venues (irc, mailing lists, probably also forums).

Well, I can probably speak for the forums :-)  Yes, whenever someone
asks how to compile from source, we discourage it and provide possible
alternative methods to get the desired program/software.  There are,
however, situations in which compiling from the source is the only
way.  In this case, I will try to make sure the procedure does not
touch any distro-provided files.

If the software is popular and its addition to "CentOS-approved"
repository is not on the horizon, I think we should offer the correct
instructions on how to install it.  Otherwise, users would go ahead
and do it anyway on their own just to mess up their systems.  We just
have to make clear on the wiki that the procedure is not supported by
CentOS.  Good example are seen in the Custom Kernel /Modules wiki
articles.  A big warning sign is presented on those pages.  The fact
is that quite a few people come to these articles for various reasons
and are being helped.

Akemi