[CentOS-docs] Re: IPTables HowTo (Comment)

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Mon Aug 25 11:31:55 UTC 2008

Daniel Swid wrote:
> Hi,
> Was following along reading your how-to with a box I had ssh'd to. I started
> pasting in the commands to build my own filter and my computer connection
> suddenly stopped responding after I pasted in
>
> iptables -P INPUT DROP
>
> Thought it'd be good of you to add a little warning next to that line....
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your comments and you raise a good point. I'll look to adding
a comment to address that issue.

I guess the best solution would be to develop and test your script
locally before uploading and deploying on a remote server.
Alternatively, if you must test remotely, setting up a cronjob to
deactivate the firewall after 5 mins is a popular approach to prevent
locking yourself out of your machine (if anyone on the list has any
thoughts about this, it would be appreciated??)

For some reason your mail never reached the centos-docs mailing list
despite being copied (maybe you're not subscribed to that list?), so
I've copied this reply to the list for reference.

Regards,

Ned