[CentOS-docs] Acer laptops (and the snd_hda_intel module

Fabian Arrotin

fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net
Sun Aug 10 07:19:47 UTC 2008

Scott Robbins wrote:
> Just a note for anyone doing a page on Acer laptops.  I had put in my
> own page, and notice that someone had put in theirs as well, that though
> the module loads, sound doesn't work.
>
> It turns out that one can get sound working by downloading the latest
> alsa drivers. I've added a note to my page on the 4720z.  The issue
> seems to be that CentOS uses an older version of alsa.
>
> (I also, of course, added the caveat that this means using something
> untested by CentOS developers.)
> Thanks to Alan for reminding me about this.

Are you sure the provided alsa/snd-hda-intel module doesn't work with
your hardware ?
I had to specify the model name in the /etc/modprobe.conf (model=imac24
because i installed on my iMac ;-) )
Maybe adding a link/note on the wiki about all the parameters that this
module accepts is worth writing : all the paramaters are in the file
/usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-2.6.18/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt
(package kernel-doc)

--
-
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net>