[CentOS-docs] HOWTO: Asus EEE Box Network card

Scott Robbins

scottro at nyc.rr.com
Mon Aug 25 23:56:14 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 02:37:45AM +0300, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:

> On 08/26/2008 01:57 AM, Scott Robbins wrote:

>> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 02:24:56PM -0700, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>>
> Let's make sure we do not make a confusion. EeePC != Eee Box
> AFAIK (correct me if I am wrong ):
> - EeePC (the subnotebook thingie) uses Atheros chipsets (both for wired
> and Wi-Fi);

Ok, I didn't know about the EEE box--I simply glanced over the posts
today, and then caught Akemi san's mention of my page.   I am, and was,
referring to the EEE PC.  The early versions all used the AR5007EG,
which is what led to my mentioning it in my article on the AR5007EG
card.  I know that at least some of the 900 series, the latest ones, use
a Realtek card.  There's a thread on Fedora forums about it somewhere.

> - Eee Box has an R8111b rev2 chipset for wired connections and .. I do
> not know what for wireless (5' of googling did not lead to a name for
> the chipset)

Don't bother, it's become a losing battle. (Mini off-topic rant).

For some reason, most laptop distributors feel that wireless b/g or
b/g/n counts as a "detailed specification."  For we who don't use MS
systems, it's quite aggravating--I'm fortunate enough (as far as that
goes anyway) to live in NYC, where I can usually go to a flagship
BestBuy or whatever and actually look at a machine.

> As a sidenote, none of the items related to Eee Box seem to have
> anything in common with Scott's tutorial, as he has just pointed out.

Yes, but it gave me a chance to personally thank you for your work on
the Realtek cards, so I'm not complaining.  :)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Giles: Nothing left but skin and cartilage.
Xander: In other words, this was no boating accident.