[CentOS-docs] potential wiki on encryption

Chris *

ixeous at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 29 00:27:15 UTC 2008

First, it may be easier for everyone to follow along if a working wiki is posted.  I have made some changes to the document I have which I think improve it, but have not posted those changes anywhere that they can be seen.  I've also "wiki-ized" the document so it will be very easy to put it on the CentOS wiki.

I agree that the article should be in the HowTo section.  As for combining the two documents, I think it can go either way.  I think that whether or not they are combined should be determined by consensus.  If I were voting, I would vote to keep the documents separate primarily because of what I think a HowTo should be.  In my mind, a HowTo should allow someone who knows nothing about the topic to follow a series of instructions with minimal decision making required during the process and end with a functioning system.  Perhaps others disagree with that type of cookie-cutter document.

The fundamental difference between the two methods has to do with the disk partitioning scheme.  The proposed document would guide the reader to have a disk with 2 disk partitions, /boot and everything else.  This method does not require the use of /etc/crypttab.  In fact, the final product from the method of the proposed document would be analogous to adding a bios password to the computer and all other workings of the OS remain unchanged.

I'm interested to hear whether or not others think this difference is significant enough to keep the documents separate.

the new guy