[CentOS-docs] Samba

Sun Aug 31 12:33:24 UTC 2008
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net>

Ned Slider wrote:
> Will F. wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I recently found a need for me to setup a Samba share for some quick
>> and dirty file copying. I already knew how to do this, but was
>> wondering if it would be worth while to add it to the tips & tricks or
>> howto section.
>>
>> Thanks! -will
>
> Hi Will,
>
> I was recently discussing with Akemi (toracat) the need for some Samba
> documentation on the Wiki as we see quite a few questions on the forums
> from new users, so I'd say go for it.
>
> Ralph may need to give you permissions or create a page for you (please).
>
> Ned

Hmm, let's coordinate first about Samba .. if there is *one* package
that can be configured in multiple ways to do the same thing, that's
surely samba  ;-)
To be honnest, just writing a 'how to create a share on samba' wiki page
is not enough (my opinion) .. but explaining how to configure the
backend (old smbpasswd, newer tdbsam, or ldap when acting as a pdc), how
to integrate in existing Samba/Windows domain/AD , explaining Filesystem
ACLs . etc .. is duplicating the official howto ..
Other thoughts on that ?
--
-
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net>