[CentOS-docs] Samba

Sun Aug 31 17:51:24 UTC 2008
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 9:09 AM, Will F. <will at digitaldev.com> wrote:
>> Hi Fabian,
>>
>> Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
>>
>> It always seemed to me that HowTo pages catered to those people who didn't want to read "millions of pages of manpages" and just wanted things to work now. Turnkey solutions. I completely agree that an article on how to setup a simple public share is REALLY easy and all it takes is a quick Google search or skim of the smb.conf man page. But at the same time, so are the rest of the articles. My vision for this HowTo is really giving the yum command to grab the package, a basic smb.conf, the location on where to put it, and the service name on how to start it. That way someone can get a share up in less than 5 minutes. I believe these are the more CentOS-related bits of Samba.
>>
>> Getting deeper into the advanced topics of Samba "explaining how to configure the backend (old smbpasswd, newer tdbsam, or ldap when acting as a pdc), how to integrate in existing Samba/Windows domain/AD , explaining Filesystem ACLs" seem better suited for samba.org since anyone who wants to implement that really needs intimate knowledge of their environment. I don't think they would want to read a summarized version in a CentOS wiki.
>>
>> Comments?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -will
>
> I agree with your view.  I would suggest you get started with a draft
> and we can all join in and make it most suitable for CentOS users.
>
> Akemi

Agreed - many hands make light work for a task like this.

As a thought - I'm wondering if the topic needs slitting up into
multiple sections/pages? Maybe something like:

An introduction/overview to samba (users, file permissions etc)
Basic samba setup with example (security=share)
Group shares with examples (security=user)
Printing
AD integration
etc ...

That way folks could chip in more easily on the bits they feel able to
contribute towards and it needn't seem like a herculean task from the
outset.

Thoughts?