[CentOS-docs] HardwareList - webcams

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Tue Dec 2 13:52:29 UTC 2008

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Ned Slider wrote:
>> http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/HardwareList/Webcams
>
> I dont see the point of 'high end', 'midrange' and 'entry level'
> sections. If there is any reason for it to be there, some info on howto
> decide what section each webcam should go into should also be included
> on the page.

Fine - removed. It was just an attempt to beak up the page and give it
some structure. The important thing is the info that it works :)

> But honestly, I dont see the point to that segmentation at all. People
> will buy and use the webcam that works for them best, mostly looking for
> the wiki as a means to work out which of those have been tested before
> etc. So rather than doing the segmentation based on 'range' perhaps more
> info on the camera / sample video + still output etc would go down a lot
> better.

I didn't envisage turning it into a mini review of each cam - there's
already plenty of those on youtube etc. What's missing is purely a list
of cams that *will* work under CentOS, plus any relevant details for
getting it working.

I hope you'll add your Philips webcam to the list when you get a chance ;)