[CentOS-docs] Visualization and desktop page

Thu Dec 11 11:17:36 UTC 2008
John <jses27 at gmail.com>

On Wed, 2008-12-10 at 19:58 -0500, Max Hetrick wrote:
> John wrote:
>
> > Hi Max maybe something along the line that Looks like Windows Vista
> > Gadgets? I get asked alot but I've never looked into it though. Maybe
> > there is something already like that? Things kinda like installing
> > Google Earth? Your wantting that Windows Look and Feel?
>
> I guess you could compare it to that, although, I'm not sure I'd use
> Windows or Vista as the comparison. ;) I'd say more like a Mac desktop
> look...at least there's a mention of Unix with mac. :)
>
> But yes, anything visual like gadgets, system monitors on the desktop
> and taskbar, transparency with taskbars, etc. This could all be grouped
> under a page for such things.
>
> I'm sure I'm not the only one that would have things to compile into a
> help page, but again, it could be considered extremely off topic and off
> target for the CentOS wiki.

My opinion I don't find it really an off topic consideration to think
about. I even use it on my laptop. I have clients that use it strictly
for desktop use only and not as a server because they can not afford to
buy Win XP or Vista. Introduce them to K3B, Mplayer or XMMS and there
happy.

CentOS has a lot going for itself. The Upstream Company has a great
reputation and is one of the oldest left in the business. Thus that
trickles down to centos and can make or break centos also. The MAC GUI
is pretty darn Spiffy looking also. I think a few ideas can be taken
from Fedora on the desktop look and specific apps in question.

JohnStanley