[CentOS-docs] Added BackupPC Guide

Fri Dec 19 13:59:34 UTC 2008
Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos at br-online.de>

Ned Slider wrote:
> In hind sight, that's probably not the clearest way to do it and
> formatting it in a separate note box would probably make it stand out more.

Probably. Or have two config sections (one for x86_64, one for i386) so
people can still cut and paste.

> Equally, where config stuff has changed between dists (eg, C4 > C5),
> I've stated the guide was written for C5 but added notes affecting C4
> where I've known of differences (for example,
> HowTos/postfix_restrictions where some of the config syntax changed
> between postfix versions).

Yes. Or write it twice or three times, for 4 and 5 (or maybe even 3).
This has been done on several pages, see the HardwareList. If it really
is release specific (meaning it really is only for 5 or for 4), this
should be stated directly at the top of the document ...

> WRT your point above, IMHO major information (potential show stoppers)
> such as dist or arch specific notes would probably be best included in a
> note at the *top* of the document rather than the bottom. I'd be a
> little miffed at reading a whole document only to discover right at the
> bottom of the page that there is an arch or dist gotcha that applies to
> me.

... to avoid exactly that >:)

What could be done and means a bit of work: Work with categories on the
wiki pages.

So you could have a Category64Bit, Category32Bit, CategoryCentOS5,
CategoryCentOS4 at the bottom of each page. We could then create
overview pages for CentOS 4, CentOS 5, x86_64 (and so on) on which these
articles will automatically be listed.

A CategoryCentOS4 overview page could look like this:

http://wiki.centos.org/CategoryCentOS4 (this page does not exist yet!)

----%<----%<----%<----%<----%<----%<----%<----%<----%<----%<----%<----%<
## Please edit system and help pages ONLY in the moinmaster wiki! For
more
## information, please see MoinMaster:MoinPagesEditorGroup.
##master-page:CategoryTemplate
##master-date:Unknown-Date
#format wiki
#language en

Everything on this Wiki related to CentOS 4

'''A list of pages in this category:'''

[[FullSearch()]]

----
CategoryCategory

See <http://wiki.centos.org/CategoryCategory> for a bit more information
about Categories in Moin.

Why would this mean "a bit of work"?

Because we have to retouch every page to make this work.

Cheers,

Ralph