[CentOS-docs] Re: rpm for r8168

Akemi Yagi

amyagi at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 01:48:18 UTC 2008

On Feb 8, 2008 3:11 PM, Manuel Wolfshant <wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:
> On 02/06/2008 05:06 PM, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> >    I've just been hit by one of the chipsets described at
> > http://wiki.centos.org/HardwareList/RealTekRTL8111b. Because
> > a) it does not work with the stock driver included in Centos 5.1 and
> > b) I am very lazy and I do not like manually compiling modules each
> > time a new kernel is installed (not to mention that I never forget
> > anything, except for the important things which always go under the
> > radar unnoticed)
> > I ripped the r1000 rpm from rpmforge and created a dkms based rpm for
> > the r8168 driver.
> >    Since others might find a use for it too, I have uploaded the rpm
> > (and it's corresponding source) at
> > http://wolfy.fedorapeople.org/dkms-r8168/. I am also thinking of
> > linking to it from the above mentioned wiki page. What do you think ?
> >

> >                Manuel
> >

>     So, any objections to editing
> http://wiki.centos.org/HardwareList/RealTekRTL8111b and adding a
> reference to my package ? Or maybe substitute suggestions / corrections
> to my proposal ...  ?
>
>     manuel

wolfy,

Is my observation correct that the rpm you are offering does not have
Require for dkms?  Or could you also provide the instructions that
will help "newbies" install this driver?  There was someone who was
looking for the driver for this particular card.  He could not
understand the wiki and therefore was asking if there is some easier
method.

Akemi