[CentOS-docs] Re: rpm for r8168

Sun Feb 10 01:08:54 UTC 2008
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Feb 9, 2008 4:52 PM, Ned Slider <nedslider at f2s.com> wrote:

> >> I tried to word it as an alternative suggestion, giving him options,
> >> rather than deliberately steering him in that direction. Like you say
> >> Akemi, he didn't appear to have the knowledge to follow the current Wiki
> >> guide and I could see him getting frustrated by a perceived lack of
> >> progress (having a working Internet connection seems to be a critical
> >> requirement to most new users).
> >
> > That was indeed a good suggestion.  This person used an old nic and
> > got connected successfully.  Well, now that he can access the network,
> > he is a good candidate for us to ask if he could try installing the
> > driver by following the instructions (I wrongly posted in other
> > thread).  So I did:
> >
> > http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=12467&forum=40
> >
> > Hope he can make it :-D
> >
> I saw :)
>
> Be prepared to do some hand holding... from his first post in that
> thread "Ran yum -Uvh *.rpm and it failed".

This is why I initially hesitated to refer him to the link.  But since
wolfy is a member of the forum now and he is incredibly kind, I
believe he would be willing to offer his hands.   ;-)

> I normally find the first hurdle is becoming root, and the differences
> between 'su' and 'su -'. Do we have a Wiki Tips and Tricks entry on that
> yet??

This su versus su - issue is seen everywhere (mailing list, irc, etc).
 So go right ahead with the wiki entry *you* suggested.

Akemi  :-D