[CentOS-docs] Simple postfix/dovecot guide?

Michael A. Peters

mpeters at mac.com
Fri Jan 25 12:34:11 UTC 2008

Ned Slider wrote:

> Ah, yes indeed. Thanks for the clarification - that completely passed me
> over when I set up my system.
>
> Any thoughts on mbox vs maildir and pop vs imap. Is there accepted best
> practice or is this something best left to the individual users
> discretion after reading up for themselves on the individual merits of
> each?

I personally use maildir / imap. I don't know if this would happen with
mbox as well, but one of the downsides to maildir is that you end up
with a ton of tiny files making tar performance dismal if you decide to
make a tar archive.

I don't remember why I chose maildir when I did, that was eons ago. But
I do remember I had a reason. The default was mbox and I changed it. It
may have been performance related, but I don't remember.

As far as why I use imap to access my mail - that's a no brainer, it
lets me easily access it from almost any machine running almost any client.