[CentOS-docs] Suggestions on "I Need the Kernel Source" Wiki pages

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sun Jul 13 04:31:43 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 09:11:10PM -0700, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 9:03 PM, Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 08:39:46PM -0700, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>

> > This confuses many newcomers (and old timers with bad vision if they're
> > not paying attention.)
> >
> > Is there any merit to substituting that with $().  (To the OP, original
> > poster, both the back ticks, to the left of the numeral 1 on a QWERTY
> > keyboard and putting something inside $(), e.g., $(uname -m) mean to
> > execute a command.
> >

> Scott,
>
> There is one (minor) problem with using the $() notation.  That is, it
> does not work in *cough* csh.  I said "minor" because (t)csh users are
> minority.  Anyway, back ticks work regardless of the shell used.

Well, I'll be darned.  You're right. (I just tried it.)

As you might imagine, I've never used csh for scripts.

> Akemi
> P.S. Please do not start the shell war (or c-shell bashing).  OK, Evolution?

Nope, not me.  FreeBSD, FWIW, still has it as root's default shell,

Perhaps then, it is worth adding a line or two explaining that these are
backticks, (and possible even mentioning where they are on the QWERTY
keyboard.)  The newcomer is often going to assume that they're single
quotes.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: Cool. You guys can do the brain thing. I'm gonna go to
class.
Oz: Which could also be construed as the brain thing.