[CentOS-docs] Suggestions on "I Need the Kernel Source" Wiki pages

Antti J. Huhtala ahuhtal4 at welho.com
Sun Jul 13 16:11:44 UTC 2008

su, 2008-07-13 kello 08:32 -0700, Akemi Yagi kirjoitti:
> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 11:24 PM, Antti J. Huhtala <ahuhtal4 at welho.com> wrote:
> > la, 2008-07-12 kello 22:02 -0700, Akemi Yagi kirjoitti:
> >> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 9:31 PM, Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > If there is a certain level of knowledge one must have before such
> > attempts, why give *any* advice in the form of HowTos? People really in
> > the know do not need it anyway.
>
> This raises an interesting point by itself.  The role of CentOS Wiki
> is primarily to provide CentOS-related information or help.  In the
> case of the kernel articles, they explain how to handle the kernel
> CentOS way, and many lines in there are specific for CentOS (like URLs
> for kernel rpms).  Therefore, even Linux experts would benefit from
> them unless they are already familiar with CentOS, or more generally,
> with package-based managed systems (they tend to prefer make; make
> rpm, for example).

Perhaps I was a bit playing the role of devil's advocate in raising the
question. Of course, I'm all for HowTos in general and understand that
there are OS-specific issues needing explanation no matter what level
expertise one might have.
> On the other hand, CentOS Wiki can include more general, non-CentOS
> specific help as well.   So, the question is what is the guidance here
> for writing CentOS Wiki articles with respect to CentOS "relatedness".
I for one don't mind at all if CentOS Wiki articles contain some general
*nix advice. Most of us learn by picking up things here and there, not
necessarily as a result of systematic training confined to a certain
subject. The problem is finding "proper" balance between CentOS-related
material and general *nix advice. Here newbies such as myself perhaps
may contribute their little bit...
I might add that I have both written and translated manuals of various
electronic devices during my working career. That may explain why I am
particularly interested in manuals and HowTos.

> Akemi

Antti