[CentOS-docs] article for consideration, Atheros 5007EG wireless card

Fri Jul 4 14:20:16 UTC 2008
Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com>

I have a page where I document getting the increasingly popular AR5007EG
Atheros wireless card working.  (This is the card used in the Asus EEE
PC).

The current article covers several
distributions, but would be modified to just cover CentOS.

It does, however, involve getting third party software, as the rpmforge
repos don't have the necessary drivers.  (Apparently, it's a bit of a
special case, and hasn't yet been merged into MadWifi trunk.

(Additionally, though not relevant to this article, some of the later
Ubuntu and Fedora alpha version kernels are requiring special patches).

Therefore, it's been suggested on the forums that it might be a helpful
addition to Dag Wier's article on Atheros cards.  I would like to give
it its own page, however, as part of the reason that the article has
been helpful to many people (judging by forum posts and personal emails)
is the fact that it goes into great detail, and as such, doesn't really
fit with the current Wiki laptop article. Perhaps, if it's accepted,
after it was finished, a link could be put to it from the wireless
section of the laptop article.

My thought is that it could go somewhere under
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless

My wiki username is ScottRobbins

The original, as yet unmodified article is at
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/rhwireless.html#5007

As I can't resist repeating this, and it should give Akemi-san, Alan,
and Ned a snicker, an unsolicited testimonial on the CentOS forums
said,

" This was the best, most comprehensive webpage I have seen thus far on
the subject. I am now comfortably sitting in bed working on this, which
is better than being tethered to the wall!!!"

(If I were making reviews for an advertisement, I would have just ended
the quote at, "....most comprehensive webpage I have seen..." )    :)

Thank you for your consideration

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Oz: So, do you steal weapons from the Army often?
Willow: Well, we don't get cable, so we have to make our own fun.