[CentOS-docs] Create page about rebuilding SRPMS and preparing RPM environment

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Fri Jul 11 16:08:31 UTC 2008

R P Herrold wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jul 2008, Filipe Brandenburger wrote:
>
>> As discussed on the centos-users list, I would like to create some
>> pages on the CentOS Wiki with instructions on how to set up your
>> environment to build RPMs and how to rebuild RPMs.
>
> ummm ... it exists several places .. also, out pointers at:
> http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Rpm

I think this is best place to start refactoring from.  My views on this :

1) drop all external links to other websites that dont have
comprehensive and centos specific content. Contact the people on those
websites to see if they will bring in updated content, if not, - move
that content into wiki.centos.org ( if licensing permits it )

2) Have a section on building rpms, whats involved and why its a good idea.

3) use the /PackageManagement/ trunk to farm out pages that address
parallel setups that people must live with, and notes on how best to
integrate that into an rpm environment ( think... gems, pear, cpan,
easy_setup. egg etc )

> I guess the question in my mind becomes multiplication and maintenance.

I agree. for this issue, perhaps there already is a fair bit of multiple
sources of info and could do with a bit of refactoring down into a
structure.

> How is it a win to add yet more pages, rather than extend the existing
> one; the whole topic of packag building -- as root, as an end user, in a
> chroot, in a chroot with defined base packages, using one of the several
> tools from mach, on ... ?

on a related note, I wonder if some of these bits might be script'able
and we might be able to provide some of these scripts.....

- KB