[CentOS-docs] Suggestions on "I Need the Kernel Source" Wiki pages

Scott Robbins

scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sun Jul 13 16:55:18 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 12:05:48PM -0400, Filipe Brandenburger wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 11:39 PM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> a) In section 2.1 it is said: "[user at host]# yum install rpm-build". To
> >> 'yum install' something you need to be superuser (as confirmed by '#'
> >> prompt before the command). Shouldn't the example read:
> >> "[root at host]# yum install rpm-build"?
> >
> > Yes, this should be root@ instead of user at .
>
> Or, wouldn't this be better?
>
> [user at host]# sudo yum install rpm-build

One problem with sudo in RH based systems is that it doesn't have root's
$PATH by default.  On my own pages, I have a page explaining this, and
when I use sudo in a tutorial, I direct the reader who isn't clear on it
to view that page.  (I usually use the phrase, as root or with root
privilege.)

While $PATH doesn't matter for this command, it can with others.
If there's already a page explaining sudo on the wiki (too lazy to look
right now) then a link to it would be sufficient, I think.

Many people come to various distributions from Ubuntu, which has sudo
enabled for the main user by default.

In CentOS's case, a user following that will get the message

<username> is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.
(or something similar.).

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Spike: Death is your art. You make it with your hands day after
day. That final gasp, that look of peace. And part of you is
desperate to know: What's it like? Where does it lead you? And
now you see, that's the secret. Not the punch you didn't throw or
the kicks you didn't land. She really wanted it. Every Slayer has
a death wish. Even you.