[CentOS-docs] Suggestions on "I Need the Kernel Source" Wiki pages

Antti J. Huhtala

ahuhtal4 at welho.com
Mon Jul 14 12:58:52 UTC 2008

ma, 2008-07-14 kello 12:20 +0100, Alan Bartlett kirjoitti:
> On 14/07/2008, Antti J. Huhtala <ahuhtal4 at welho.com> wrote:
>         I just looked at the updated "I Need the Kernel Source" HowTo
>         and in my
>         eyes it is now perfect. No doubt a careful person could now
>         succeed in
>         building the kernel tree in one go.
>
> Thank you for kind words and very helpful feed-back, Antti. Having a
> fresh pair of eyes to look at it was very useful. There is an English
> saying that "familiarity breeds contempt". In this case, no matter how
> many times Akemi and I read that article through, we consistently
> missed those tripping-points as we were so familiar with what we were
> doing.
>
> Alan.

Glad I could be of some help. In Finnish we have a corresponding saying
which roughly translates to: "A man is blind to his own mistakes." As
technical editor of our national ham radio magazine I know only too well
how true that is...

Now I'm testing your "I Need to Build a Custom Kernel" HowTo. Everything
seems to be OK in the HowTo, even if the final build fails with an error
"Makefile:405: /home/andie/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-2.6.18/\
linux-2.6.18.i686/arch//Makefile: No such file or directory".

This is no wonder considering the fact that two lines above it is
stated: "+ Arch= " and the next line reads:
"+ make Arch= nonint_oldconfig"

It looks like an error in .config trying to write Makefile into an empty
arch directory or something similar. I assume this is not a problem in
the HowTo, however. I'll look at .config a little closer and if I can
not find the problem myself I'll write to the CentOS mailing list.

Thanks again, Alan

Antti