[CentOS-docs] Re: Create page about rebuilding SRPMS and preparing RPM environment

Ralph Angenendt

ra+centos at br-online.de
Mon Jul 21 15:16:11 UTC 2008

Alan Bartlett wrote:
> Ralph,
>
> Do you normally respond in a bottom-up fashion?

No.

> On 21/07/2008, Ralph Angenendt
> <ra+centos at br-online.de<ra%2Bcentos at br-online.de>>
> wrote:
> > Alan Bartlett wrote:
>>> Have you fully researched what currently is present in the WIki?
>>>
>> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/YumAndRPM#head-d2b0e7b7f3943ba0f8d08f9cfa46e821ba74aff4
>>
>> Well, hints and tips for building rpms/rebuilding srpms are all over the
>> wiki,
>
> Which is what I wanted to highlight by quoting that, above, as another
> example.

Yes. And now there is someone who wants to expand on that and make those
short snippets into a somewhat more elaborated page (at least that is
how I take the offer to rewrite those pages and/or create those pages).

> but that is not what I call "well documented".

> I most certainly have not used the phrase "well documented".

Your quoting makes it look like you did. But no, *I* used the phrase.

> Why do you put it in quotation marks in a response to me?

This is a mailing list, would I have responded to you the list wouldn't
have gotten the mail. And your mail was the one I saw most fitting to
make that remark - which could have been into a response to another mail
also. And here in this case the quotation marks mark direct speech.

> All that does is imply (to a casual reader or one who does not bother
> to review everything in this conversational thread) that you are
> quoting my words - which you are not. As I have said before the
> English language is very precise if used correctly.  Problems will
> occur with its misuse.

<snip snide remark after rereading my response>

>> A centralized point where anything else which needs explanations on
>> doing so can link to is something we are really missing (IMNSHO).
>
> Your last sentence above, once the intended logic is extracted from
> it, is something I would agree with. Perhaps you will kindly expand on
> what it is you intend by the "not so" (NS) in the parenthesised
> IMNSHO?

We have many parts on the wiki where it would be wise to extract some
content and put it into it's own context or rather page. This is one of
the examples where it can be seen.

Keeping something as central as rpm rebuilding in one place and link to
that will do the documentation on the wiki good.

Ralph