[CentOS-docs] Re: Create page about rebuilding SRPMS and preparing RPM environment

Sat Jul 19 11:54:39 UTC 2008
Alan Bartlett <ajb.stxsl at googlemail.com>

On 19/07/2008, Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 3:25 AM, Alan Bartlett <ajb.stxsl at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
> > On 18/07/2008, Filipe Brandenburger <filbranden at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Note that none of these articles are about building RPMs anyway, one
> >> is a kind of FAQ on Yum and RPM and the second one is on building your
> >> own kernel.
>
> > Perhaps you would care to draft out what you have in mind.
>
> > Russ, Ralph and Akemi - do you have any comments, please?
>
> My view on this is as follows.
>
> I and many others use Wiki articles to help users.  A good example is
> the Repositories page:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories
>
> Just checked the CentOS forums and found we have referred to this URL
> 18 times this month alone. That's about once a day.  I see the same
> thing on the CentOS IRC - frequent citation to that Wiki.
>
> As a matter of fact, quite a few Wiki articles were created out of
> demand - demand by helpers rather than users.  We get tired of typing
> the same thing over and over again.

Agreed, entirely.

So, when I want to assess if a new Wiki page is worth writing, I base
> it on the past record and see if that article would have helped if
> existed.  Here, I picked up some threads in the forums that are
> related to "building from srpm".
>
> (1) This is the latest one.  In there, Ned gives a brief description
> as the "theory".
>

> http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=15267&forum=37&post_id=53624#forumpost53624
>
> (2) In this thread, a user asks "Is there some howto to do that on
> Centos...?"  Alan answers with the correct command.  But no one
> responded with a howto.
>

> http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=15002&forum=28
>
> (3) Another regular helper and now a Wiki author, pjwelsh, also
> provides an answer with the rpmbuild command to use.
>

> http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=15184&forum=31&post_id=53235#forumpost53235
>
> (4) Yet another case by pjwelsh.
>

> http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=15161&forum=45&post_id=53115#forumpost53115
>
> (5) Here is mine as toracat :-D
>

> http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14195&forum=38&post_id=48562#forumpost48562
>
> Except for mine which was in May, all other examples are from this
> month and from "highly knowledgeable people".  I personally feel (my
> selfish thinking) that a single point of reference to a CentOS wiki
> would have helped *both* the helpers and the users in all these cases
> and many others I have seen not only in the forums but in the mailing
> lists and IRC as well.

Thank you for those well put and thoughtful comments, Akemi.

Is that how you propose to proceed, Fillipe?

Alan.