[CentOS-docs] RTL8111 Wiki Pages

Ned Slider

ned at unixmail.co.uk
Thu Jun 26 17:24:05 UTC 2008

Kirk Bocek wrote:
> Howdy,
> It appears that CentOS 5.2's support for the RTL8111B/C chip is
> incomplete. The wiki has some blanket statements regarding this support:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/HardwareList/CentOS5/RealTek/r1000
>

> http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/HardwareList/RealTekRTL8111b
>
> I could dive in an make the changes *I* think need to happen but I'd
> like to talk to people first.
>
> The gritty details:
>
> Last night I attempted to install 5.2 x86_64 on a new Gigabyte
> GA-G31M-S2L. This motherboard has an RTL8111C NIC on-board. After PXE
> booting into the 5.2 installer, the installer hung while waiting for
> DHCP information. Checking the various consoles, it's clear that the
> installer identified the NIC and loaded the r8169 driver. But the driver
> obviously failed.

I have a Gigabyte board with RTL8111/8168B and that works fine with the
5.2 kernel. I wonder if it's as simple as 'B' revision chips work and
'C' doesn't? Otherwise, presumably the advice should be if the stock
kernel driver doesn't work, try the methods described therein.

My only other vested interest in those pages are that they are a
brilliant resource for referring users to from the forums.