[CentOS-docs] amavisd-new, spamassassin and clamav

Michael Crider mcrider at hoecoop.org
Fri May 2 14:10:21 UTC 2008

This might be slightly off topic for this list, but do any of you have a
feel for how amavisd-new compares to MailScanner? I know amavisd-new is
in rpmforge repositories, and MailScanner as far as I know is not in any
standard CentOS repositories, so that certainly makes amavisd-new more
convenient. However, we have been using MailScanner since late 2006
based on a howto that was published at hughesjr.com. We recently
upgraded our server to CentOS 5, and I have been preparing a page for
the wiki documenting the installation. I know that in the past postfix
developers did not care for MailScanner because of the interface they
used, but as I understand that was fixed several years ago. A quick
google on comparisons turned up a lot of old information that probably
isn't relevant now, but I did find a couple of opinions that might be
worthwhile:
1. amavisd-new may occasionally lose a message, while MailScanner (from
my own experience) never allows a mail to be deleted from the incoming
queue until it is in the delivery queue.
2. amavisd-new processes can take a lot of memory.
Does anybody on this list have better information based on what they
have seen or read?
Thanks.
Michael

Ned Slider wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I've been working on documenting an amavisd-new, spamassassin and
> clamav installation for postfix on CentOS5 with regards to writing
> this up for the Wiki (with invaluable help from forum member
> WhatsHisName - thanks!).
>
> I hope to make a start on a Wiki page in the next week or so, so if
> anyone has any experience with this combo and would like to offer
> advice, tips and proof-reading once I get going, that would be more
> than welcome.
>
> Assuming there are no objections, I'll post a link once I get started :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Ned

Michael Crider
Howell-Oregon Electric Cooperative