[CentOS-docs] Opening of the Wiki - Part I

Daniel de Kok me at danieldk.org
Mon May 19 12:01:43 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 1:53 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> Akemi Yagi wrote:
>>
>> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-docs/2007-October/000734.html
>> As you can see in that thread, placing a moderator's name on each page
>> was opposed by a few core members of the CentOS team.  Then the
>> discussion sort of died down.  I'd like to know, if the name(s) are
>> hidden from the readers, assigning maintainers would be agreeable to
>> them.  Any more thoughts or ideas?
>
> I dont understand why someone's name needs to be on the page, for them to be
> able to subscribe to the changelog for a page ?

I agree. I still agree with myself one year ago:

"I can only agree. Even it is not the intention to keep people away,
people will feel like they have to consult with the author on every
edit. This works against the goal of wikis: providing complete, correct,
and understandable information."

I know that you are not proposing to have visible names, but I think
the same thing applies to "ownership" that is shown when a page is
edited. Other than that, page subscriptions should do the job fine?

And why can't the editors be responsible for all of the Wiki? I think
it is better if abuse is fixed by the first person who spots it,
rather than a special moderator.

I can't really see what purpose this proposal serves ;).

Take care,
Daniel